A Man Reader Raves (and Rants) about Romance

  This is what I have to see every 10 pages. Reminding me that this is chick-lit, why am I still reading  this for?!


Do men read YA romantic urban fantasy fiction? A few weeks ago, I would have said - hell no. But since the release of my book TELESA, I have been pleasantly surprised and proven wrong. Not only are men reading it, but they are actually (against their will), finishing it, enjoying it and then sharing their views on it. Now admittedly, a common theme in their feedback is "I'm really enjoying the book! I could do without all the in-depth Daniel descriptions tho...lol" 
    Unless of course they are Man-Lover-Appreciator readers, in which case they're saying,  "TELESA is sooooo much better than Twilight. Daniel is such a babe, I fell asleep imagining his half-nakedness at the midnight pool - I am in love!" So yeah, the TELESA love story has been able to cross the gender gap...(in more ways than one.) Because I wrote the book for me and thus for a female audience, I'm always intrigued to read a Man-Reader's Review. And this one from a Man-Reader who knows me personally, had me laughing. And laughing. And wishing that he was in the same country as me so I could punch him. Warning, there are spoilers in here so if you havent read TELESA and dont want to know too much about the plot, I suggest you give this one a miss.
                   This is Chick Lit - Why am I still Reading This For?!
       So I just finished reading the first book in the TELESA series - The Covenant Keeper by  Lani Wendt Young. A story about a young woman named Leila and her return to her homeland Samoa. To her everything is so foreign and yet familiar. She (Leila) is gifted naturally with the art of sarcasm and also has the supernatural ability of turning up the heat when things get 'hot and heavy' or when she gets pissed off.  Like most teenagers she is discovering many firsts: experiences, emotions and abilities -  but tries hard to hide her vulnerabilities with a snooty intellectual East Coast attitude . 
    She discovers that in this new country Samoa, the primal 'urge to merge'  is difficult to abstain from due to vivid descriptions of half-naked rugby guys running around in the glistening sun that the author often reminds us of every 10 pages. Reminding me this is definitely chick lit and I dont know why I'm still reading this for......  (I can see the author's discomfort now..LOL)   Back to my critique, like any drama -Leila falls for a jock and lead character Daniel, and the nice guy, (a scientist fellow blonde dude oh whatever his name is oh Jason, who doesnt realize nice guys finish last) both whom devote themselves in adoring and wooing her for her affections. All the while not knowing they are in love with one of the most powerful Pacific demi-goddess of fire, one of  a sisterhood who could destroy everyone on the island. One of these sisterhood furies is Leila's mom Nafanua  who is a lady you don't want to mess with. Just ask a couple of villagers that were fried by random lightning and Mr. Nice Guy Jason  who gets poisoned by this brood, destroying any chance of love for this poor guy...(I guess I can identify with this poor nice guy.)
    Back to the story, the author provides lots of imagery and intense passion that her female audience will adore. Leila finds she is twin, her boyfriend is a water bender like her supposed deceased twin (wait a  minute...hmm is it possible he could be her twin bro ...eew)" Luke ...Leah is your sister....my sister how can that be Obi Wan....use the force... Luke ...use the force" Jason may still have a chance yeeeessssssssssss! (I was surprised by how much I was getting into this storyline, cheering for Mr Nice Guy.) Knowing the author, right now she is probably pissed or deleting this  book review. But wait - I have more - just like how Ms Wendt Young leaves the audience hanging for the next book - which is very cleverly done by the way. Even I find myself counting how many sleeps until March 2012?

      As a Man-Reader, I want to ask the author: How come you don't introduce a sexy cougar for your guy audience....hmmmm... maybe with supernatural abilities. Older guys like me are feeling ignored here!
      Overall, have to say, the book brought back many memories and emotions from my own youth. Well done to a beautiful and passionate Tusitala, LOL.
Thank you Man Reader and I will definitely take your suggestion about a 'sexy cougar' in Bk 2 under consideration. Now go eat some pineapple and coconuts because I hear that they work wonders for men everywhere. (And not just in Young Adult romantic fiction.)