Funeral Food. BYO

Samoan funerals. Equal lots and lots of food. Staggering piles of styrofoam containers that leak their pungent juice all over your puletasi as you carry them back to your car.

I hate that feature of our culture. I really do. I dont like that SOME people only show up at a mourning event because they want to sample the chop suey. I dont like that the bereaved must pour themselves ( and their loans from NPF) into buying, cooking and serving food.

When I die, there will be no food. I have already instructed HRH to "give people a chilled bottle of water", a kind smile and a "thank you very much for coming". I've even told him to put that on the death notice announcement, "Please note that there will be no refreshments served at my beloved wife's funeral. So if you anticipate getting hungry, BYO." See? that way only people who really are sad about my untimely passing will show up. And the event will be much less costly.

But HRH doesnt like my request. Why? Because he said, "People will think I'm le mafaufau and ai'u. Greedy. Ignorant. A cheapskate who doesnt love his wife enough to feed people at her funeral properly!"

We have yet to reach an agreement on this issue. The stubborn man refuses to budge from "Whatever. I dont care what you say. When you're dead, you wont be around to tell us what to do. And I will do your funeral however i want to. So there."

So Im informing all the blogging world. Getting it out in the open. You are my witnesses. THERE WILL BE NO FOOD AT LANI"S FUNERAL. And if there is ( thanks to HRH's undying love for me and his concerns for what people will think of him) - then I want all my friends to commit now that they wont eat any of it.

Am I the only one who thinks of random stuff like this? Stuff like whether or not there should be refreshments at my graveside? Am I the only one who doesnt like the funeral feast mentality that usually accompanies Polynesian death rites? Speak up now...or forever hold your peace!

The only thing anyone should be getting at my farewell. Thank you for coming!